Modified/Controlled Release of Liquid Oral Drugs
Flamel’s LiquiTime® platform uses Micropump®’s competitive advantages to allow us to develop modified/controlled release (e.g. near zero-order kinetics) in liquid suspension formulations.
This graph illustrates the different near zero-order release profiles which can be tailored for the same drug
The LiquiTime® products are particularly suitable for dosing to children and for use by patients having issues swallowing tablets or capsules. Unlike the other product examples described in the previous paragraph, which are all based on ion exchange resin technology, LiquiTime® does not have the limitation of having to work solely with ionic drugs and therefore has applicability to a much broader range of drug molecules.
As with Micropump®, LiquiTime® can be applied to the development of combination products and it is readily able to be scaled-up to commercial quantities.
The increasing number of geriatric patients and the demand for convenient drug delivery options for children offer striking opportunities for the development of LiquiTime®-based formulations
Flamel has two self-funded LiquiTime®-based products in development: ibuprofen LiquiTime® and guaifenesin LiquiTime® both successfully tested in FIM clinical studies.
LiquiTime Key Attributes
- Easy to swallow, taste masked and good mouth feel,
- Applicable to a wide range of drugs, not limited to ionic drugs as with resin-complex based technology,
- Combination of immediate release and extended release kinetics possible,
- Combination in the same formulation of different drugs with different release kinetics possible,
- Widely used and accepted excipients ,
- Rapid development time,
- Readily scalable to industrial scale,
- Clinical Proof of Concept achieved in humans,
- Broad spectrum and strong IP protection (patent granted e.g. in the US, EU and Japan).
LiquiTime® Oral Liquid Controlled Release Drug Delivery Platform
Rivail C. and Chatellier J. (2011) ONdrugDelivery, pp 20-21